Day six of five reasons to smile and still going strong. The only downside of this endeavour is that I have to wait until the end of the day to be able to summarise the best bits, which means being online just before bed. Research has shown that being on computers before bed can lead to poor sleep, as the blue light emitted from the screen mimics daylight and kids the brain into thinking it should still be awake. This then suppresses production of melatonin, a brain chemical that helps us to sleep. (No, of course I didn’t just lift that info pretty much straight from another website…)
Oh well, after my week of insomnia, the sleep I’m getting at the moment seems amaaaazing in comparison, so I think I’ll cope for a few more days.
So, here goes…
- ‘Jamming’ with my sister in Russia over skype – we’re both learning to play guitar at the moment and decided to share our tips and skills with each other. Actually, I’m speaking for myself, but the word ‘skills’ probably has no place in the previous sentence. We played each other our favourite chords (mine are currently D major and A minor, but it varies constantly) and my sister taught me some finger dexterity exercises that she’d learnt. Man, we, like, totally rocked out… As I said to her, I could picture us still doing this in ten years’ time but with electric guitars, fingers a blur, fake smoke in the background and weird grimacing facial expressions.
- I have made another sister one of my case studies for my Thai massage training, which meant I was able to give her a two hour treatment today – lovely. I have deliberately used relative strangers for all the other case studies in order to make it seem more realistic (and also, in a mercenary marketing strategy, in the hope they enjoy it so much they keep coming back when I can actually charge for it!). So, it felt good to be able to do this for one of my nearest and dearest today. It did mean, however, that my standard patter about ‘the massage is generally given in silence’ was completely null and void. We hadn’t seen each other for a while so gassed throughout the entire supine and side sequences, although she did start to drift off from the prone sequence onwards (I’m not making these words up).
- New sheets on the bed – one of life’s very simple pleasures, but one that never fails to give me a thrill and, weirdly, also often causes me to thrash my legs around in excitement when I first get into bed – something I’ve done from childhood and should probably think about ceasing at some point. Hmmm, naaaah….
- Sun-sheeee-ine (said in a Liam Gallagher voice of course) – it’s been a while since we saw our yellow friend, but he was out today in full golden glory.
- Looking in the mirror and seeing a healthy, glowing, bright, sparkly-eyed face staring back with a surprised smile. This could, of course, just be a relative step forward from the pale, red-eyed mess that stared morosely out from the mirror a week or so ago. However, I think it’s more than that – I think this abstinence diet might finally be bearing visible fruits, hurrah… 🙂